Towny Add the builder job

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by MLGesus, Apr 29, 2019.

?

Builder add yes?

1. yeah

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Nah

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Maybe but after testing

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. MLGesus

MLGesus New Member

Discuss.
    As a rebuttal to some arguments I've heard

"Everyone will make too much money by building some dumb crap." If that truly is a fear for builder then the owners can modify it so that placing trash blocks(dirt shouldn't count BTW) like cobblestone yields like $0.01 and a sliver of job XP, and reward players for placing blocks that require a crafting recipe(the brick-types, sandstone, etc.). And even then, they can implement a rule to punish players for building actual crap(the classic culprits being 1x1 pillars) with a money/job xp penalty.

"too complicated to balance" Looking at the amount of variables that could be changed here the owner's can change to make builder as trash tier or as god tier as they want, there is no complexity here except for making the placement of trash blocks near worthless and the placement of more complex(crafting-wise) blocks a little above near worthless.

"Towny should already give player's enough incentive to build" no they won't. I have a town and have digger/miner jobs. All I have done was dug out to bedrock a pillar. Now I have a ton of building materials but building would not be as lucrative as breaking dirt with a shovel or stone with a pickaxe because the latter actions at least generate some amount of cash.

"But muh exploit" Considering the "exploit" of placing then breaking the block again, I seriously doubt anyone will do it if the money obtained from placing blocks is properly balanced. And even then I could silk touch diamond ore and have a friend place it(because apparently it tracks you placing the ore and breaking it, not your buddy placing it and you breaking it, so unless the information I was given was false, this exploit works!) Apparently the information I was given didn't cover the full thing because it doesn't count any player-place blocks, so I'll have to concede that part, but my point still stands that a properly balanced builder should not enable that type of degenerate gameplay.

Attached Files:

#1 MLGesus, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. FNPlayz

FNPlayz Moderator

Any player-placed blocks aren't counted by jobs.

3. sh2mrr5

sh2mrr5 Administrator
    Administrator System Administrator

First of all, thank you for tanking this to the forums (I wish more people would do that since things on here are not drowned and forgotten after 10 minutes)! :D

We will definitely discuss adding this job (back) and discuss the arguments for and against doing that among the staff, also considering the feedback we will get here. As I already said on the discord, I don't want anybody to have too great expectations. If we don't want the job to be overpowered, somebody spamming blocks cannot be paid more than somebody doing another job. This means that normal builders probably will only get a fraction of that money. On top of that, there will probably be no significant difference between normal blocks like stone bricks and rarer ones (e.g. diamond blocks), because you can place and break them as many times as you want.

With that being said, I am not against adding the job back and if it is something that the community wants we will most likely do that, even if it will take some time (Back in towny v1.0 barely anybody chose the builder job, which probably was one of the reasons it got removed [fun fact: I was the Builder with the highest level back then] :D).

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Foshi (hawk)

Foshi (hawk) Member

Builder would be cool but another job could be trader
    where you make money from trading with villagers but I don't know how that would work

• Friendly Friendly x 1