1. Hey Guest, Shadow Kingdom turns 5 years old on April 1st, 2020! To celebrate, all RANKS and UPGRADES on our store are 40% OFF until April 5th! https://store.shadowkingdom.org
    Dismiss Notice

Creative Building Competitions (discussion)!

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Luminiscient, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Luminiscient

Luminiscient New Member

Hello everyone! Many of the people on the creative server will undoubtedly praise the kind community of the server. However, creative plot building can ultimately be a very solo-focused activity. While some players enjoy group building, the majority works on their plots alone - and likes it that way. That being said, the play style lacks the inherent player interactivity that Towny has. For this reason, I put forward the idea of organising a building competition, and I would like to open up a discussion in the comments below on how you would ideally organise such a competition!

Having taken a small sample size of the creative server player base, it seems that most players would be interested in competing just for the fun of it without any hardcore competitiveness. It would add a touch of interactivity needed for creating a tighter community. However, there are many ways to organise such a competition.

Things open for discussion are the following; What plot size will we use, what theme can we choose, are there special building restrictions active, and what time period do we have for finishing our plots?

If you have any ideas, please add them below. I propose that we host such a competition with small plot sizes, and give players a month to build. This would convince players that are slightly less confident with their skills to join, seeing as the challenge becomes a bit easier to manage. This also allows players to join the competition up to 2 weeks late and still be able to finish on time for judging! As for a topic; we could gather a couple proposals and have the final theme be up to a community vote.

Please let me know what you think!

- Lumi

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Schoggi

Schoggi Member

Hey Lumi:) I really love the idea you are suggesting anf Im certain Im not the onlyone :D
    As a non professional creative player I would love to have a sort of competing environment to make myself engage more into the realms of building since Im confident that im a decent builder but lack the motivation to actually finish my builds so they look presentable. Besides I think giving any sort of restrictions to this game wouldnt do much in my opinion since I my feeling was it would be more for fun and less rule oriented. But maybe a certain rating system would be nice like for example: uniqueness, terraforming or building skills, complexity, entertainment (you may add/remove the categories how you like:)

Btw I think it would be nice if all competing plots would be located in the same place so you could follow the progress of eachothers plots and also compare yourself with them. But that would be something to ask staff if thats even possible.

Eitherway I really love the idea you brought up even if I were not to be able to participate but I certainly want to

Didnt expect such a long comment xD
    Enjoy your day
    -You

• Like Like x 1
  3. Schoggi

Schoggi Member

Feel free to answer if you like^^

4. Luminiscient

Luminiscient New Member

Hey Schoggi, thanks for your reply! You raise a couple of great points! Motivating people to join, compete, and to finish their builds is exactly the goal of such a competition. The added comparative factor is a great motivation and source of fun! It's also for this reason that your suggestion of a collective spot where all the competition builds are gathered and made is a great idea! I propose - if it is possible - that a separate world can be created for the express purpose of the competition. This will allow any player joining the competition also to see the way in which the theme is interpreted by other players, which brings me to my second point...

The winner will be judged based on their skills as you mentioned. This could include terraforming, detailing, organics, and any other skill that makes a build pretty to look at! However, comparing wildly varying builds can be difficult, and therefore I propose that a theme would provide the judges with a clear framework to judge within. As you mentioned though, granting people creative and freedom is exactly what draws people to creative building in the first place, so the theme shouldn't be too restrictive.

Therefore, themes such as 'windmill', 'desert town', 'flower' or 'Hungarian parliament' would not work as an idea to center the competition around. They are restrictive in their variety for a competition. For this reason, I propose some themes with a wider arc of interpretation. Some examples are 'Good versus Evil', 'A Trip through Time', 'All the Colours of the Rainbow', or 'Literature brought to Life'. Such a theme is ambiguous in its interpretation and would suit any person's preferred building style, thus not preferencing any builder over another. I personally think that such a theme could lead to a wide variety of unique builds that are still linked together in a subtle thematic manner! :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bow1

Bow1 New Member

This is a very cool idea, One thing that could be added is a reward system as well, like ingame titles a build battle leaderboard easily accessible to new players and the like and even small number prefixes by players that placed in the build battle like a small #1 in blue that when you hover over it says they got first place in the June 2020 Build Battle Competition

• Like Like x 1