Creative Collaborative Builds

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Amplexus, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Amplexus

Amplexus New Member

Just a short little note,

I was wondering since personally, as a guy who cannot make terrain for his life, would love to do more collaborative builds with other members of the server. However, I don't unless there's a way you can readjust the point split.

I feel as though many people don't feel the ambition to create group builds especially among others who have reached high ranks to try and make an even more ambitious and creative build since the reward for it is half of what they'd normally get with a better result.

P.S: this is just a suggestion obviously and you have the right to deny it. I just know some others on the server feel just the way I do when trying to do collaborative things. It would definitely raise the amount of players reaching new ranks if both were given the same points instead of split.

A couple quotes from people unnamed that also had an opinion
    "that also might be a bit OP, but I think the split should be more than 50/50"
    "you guys should get rid of the point split thing"
    "Point splitting is communist propaganda" - personal favorite

• Like Like x 2
  2. Luminiscient

Luminiscient Member

Doing collabs for build submissions is sadly a bit discouraged by the way points are split. This is mostly because players tend to run out of submissions around the artisan rank, and so they'd rather not have a submission that only earns them half as much as their other submissions. As submissions are earned through ranking up, and as getting from artisan to architect, and from architect to designer, is very tough, most people really want to maximise how much points they earn from each submission.

There is a few things that can be done to encourage players to collab for submissions.
    1) Change the points from 50/50 to 75/75. This reduces the feeling of "losing out" on points because you need to share them. Both players could also get full points, of course, but I believe that this is currently not done because it is assumed that you need to do less work when finishing a collab plot. It could also be said that people are more motivated when collaborating as they don't want to leech off of their partner, and thus produce even better plots than they would have done solo, thus actually doing more work than they otherwise would have. However, since this is no guarantee, I think a 75/75 split is a good middle road between the two points of view.

2) Give people separate "collab submissions" and "solo submissions". This circumvents the feeling that a submission is wasted on getting only half the points as opposed to having done a solo submission. By giving players designated submissions for solo and collab builds, you also prevent players from skyrocketing to ranks beyond their normal reach, which I believe is a second consideration as to why the current collab system gives half points. For every 3-4 solo submissions, a player could get an additional collab submission.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OldSeed

OldSeed Member

I’ve seen several building partnerships that have decided to rotate the submissions(ie one person submits the first plot, the second person submits the next one, etc). It really has gotten to the point where the collaborative building system is so scuffed it can’t be considered a viable option for points.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Daphsquid

Daphsquid Retired Staff

I agree that the point split could do well with a revamp. Unlike some others reply on this thread so far, I still believe that a group submission should count as a normal submission for each builder, but the percentages of points for each builder is really the issue here, in my opinion.

Right now, there's an even split of points for each builder, up to 6 builders. That means that for each 1.00 point, a builder will currently receive the following amount:

• 2 builders: 0.50 Point
    • 3 builders: 0.33 Point
    • 4 builders: 0.25 Point
    • 5 builders: 0.20 Point
    • 6 builders: 0.16 Point

From what I've seen so far (although there is minimal information to go off of due to the low amounts of collaborative submissions), the amount of builders doesn't seem to be having a super significant effect on the amount of engagement on the build.

Someone on the server recommended to me a percentage of 90%, 80%, 70%, 60%, 50% in place, which I like. This would grant each builder the following amounts per 1.00 point:

• 2 builders: 0.90 Point
    • 3 builders: 0.80 Point
    • 4 builders: 0.70 Point
    • 5 builders: 0.60 Point
    • 6 builders: 0.50 Point
    Let me know what you guys think.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldSeed

OldSeed Member

That seems reasonable, but maybe a little bit overpowered. Perhaps 85,75,65, then flatline it at 60%? I’m not sure if there’s a cap on how many people can be in one submission.

6. OldSeed

OldSeed Member

Yeah that does make sense. I think the quality of the build should be higher in a collab and the scale can be a lot larger which are two things that get a lot of likes though, so idk. I’m happy to let staff decide the exact figures as long as there’s a fairly significant increase.

7. sh2mrr5

sh2mrr5 Administrator
    Administrator System Administrator

Hey,

Thank you all for your suggestions. We talked about this during our meeting and decided against increasing the rewarded points for group builds. Since a build with multiple people will in theory be completed much faster and also look better, it would make ranking up a bit too easy (compared to somebody who is building alone).

Instead we (essentially JST will do all the work) will be looking into reducing the number of submissions group builds take. That way somebody could be involved in two group builds but would only lose one of their submissions. Once we figured out the exact numbers and everything is ready, we will make a separate announcement :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldSeed

OldSeed Member

Thanks for the speedy reply and for these very welcome changes.

I would just briefly say that you cannot assume that a build which looks twice as good will get twice the views or twice the likes, as has been proven on the server. I don’t think that anybody is advocating for 100/100 point split and if they are I disagree. I think that 50/50 is still a bit unbalanced though.

9. OldSeed

OldSeed Member

Again though, really don’t want to sound ungrateful cause I am REALLY happy these changes were made and will probably actually do some group builds in the future now.

10. sh2mrr5

sh2mrr5 Administrator
    Administrator System Administrator

Oh, I just meant that in terms of getting more points per day in the beginning by finishing more plots in a certain time (until you run out of submissions ofc).