Creative Interior inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Ultrabrain, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Ultrabrain

Ultrabrain Member

Recently there have been a few people (LordestPt, UnauthorisedLink) who got denied for rankup to engineer. Both showed impressive amounts of skill with their plots, but got denied for either lack of, or not good enough interior.

Interior is an important part of building, and an essential requirement in the rankup process. It makes sense that a build where it’s absent or not good enough does not deserve a rankup. The same logic applies for exterior and terrain.

What makes an interior good enough? Is furniture required, even if it doesn’t fit the style or scale of a building, or is it enough to show that you payed attention to the inside of your buildings and tried to make it look good, not unfinished?

It’s understandable that UnauthorisedLink didn’t get the rankup. After all his plot has a total lack of interior. It’s worth noting that exterior, structure and atmosphere are all significantly better than most of the engineer examples. Does missing interior counter these aspects so it’s not worth a rankup? It would be acceptable if this was the case, but wouldn’t that mean that total the lack of terrain on Lockenoia’s example plot counters the amazing architecture shown?

The case of LordestPt is more interesting. The feedback directly stated that the exterior was good, but that the interior needed work. After a careful comparison between the interior on LordestPt’s plot and some engineer examples, it seems like there is no consistent guideline for what is required. LordestPt clearly payed attention to the interior, and it’s hard to find many ways to improve it that work with the general style.

It’s hard to ignore that there is some problem here. Maybe the emphasis on interiors is too strong compared to other aspects of building (example: the lockenoia no terrain example plot compared to the UnauthorisedLink no interior plot). Perhaps the focus on actual furniture is too much, even when it wouldn’t fit a certain style (example: LordestPt’s plot). Possibly it's a general lack of consistency between examples and practical rankups, or maybe I just missed something very obvious in my analysis.

This is of course all my own opinion and I’m no judge. It’s likely that I missed some crucial information. I do believe though that it’s worth taking a look at. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Plots analysed to form this opinion:
    /p h 2 LordestPt
    /p h 2 UnauthorisedLink
    /p h Ultrabrain
    /p h Lockenoia
    /p h TinyRoe

(the two plots mentioned above are likely to change over time so my points given here might not stay relevant. Screenshots can be provided)

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. Kayoz

Kayoz Daph's Baby Boy

I personally do not feel that interior should be considered such a vital part of the rankup system. Whilst it can be good in showing an added level of effort in detailing the build, and should likely be encouraged, it really shouldn't be a make or break aspect of the judging process.

Yes, it would be nice to see interior work done in a build, and empty houses are a little less interesting to look at, but it should not totally weigh down an otherwise great build from being judged properly.

#2 Kayoz, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Link_Targaryen

Link_Targaryen Manager
    Manager

Since there may still be some confusion as to how we judge these sort of things, I will explain. The first two ranks (builder and engineer) are, obviously, the easiest ranks to get. The difficulty in gaining a rank scales with each rank, so builder -> engineer should, theoretically, be the same jump as engineer -> architect. In practice, however, this is more complicated. Someone who is a decent builder can get builder without much effort. But if they put in as much effort for engineer, they might not get it. Here's the point: interiors are an integral part of pretty much every building ever constructed by humans (excluding aesthetic things like statues, but those provide aesthetic to a building or a park or something else). Forgoing them is fine for builder, and if you're good enough at exteriors, terraforming, etc. is okay to do for engineer. But when you get to the point of trying to apply for architect, your build needs to be finely crafted and detailed, in all respects. And those interiors need to fit with the rest of the build. Are you making a castle? The interiors should have a castle feel to them; throne room, suites, dining hall, etc. Simply having a space inside a building instead of making the structures solid is not enough. We want to see both building skill and effort put into builds. That is what truly puts them over the top.

4. Ultrabrain

Ultrabrain Member

Thanks for your reaction, Link. It's nice to finally have a good explanation. I believe it's worth taking a look at some examples though, as there are a few that might cause confusion about this topic.