Towny Everyone will love me for this!

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by AmIPronkent, Aug 29, 2020.

1. AmIPronkent

AmIPronkent Member

I would like to suggest something much more controversial then my last suggestion. Most likely because it is a suggestion about the bank balance of THE PEOPLE. I am a defender of equality and will stand up for the ones who cannot speak for themselves. We have perished under the cruel rule of these mad feudal lords. They have taken our money, our blocks and now even our time. No this is not a joke for I stand behind every single word I will be conveying inside of this message. Please hear my call, and help these poor men and women currently in turmoil.
    Enough joking around.

So as T4 started there has been a strong debate about the fact that you guys introduced a weekly tax. For some reason I do not understand why the server doesn't like it when people save up money and keep their balance high for bragging rights. I do not support this thought and have tried to convince some people to get rid of this weekly tax - unsuccessfully - but it is time to embrace this new way of playing Towny and accept the fact that we have to pay taxes. Its only 1% so it barely inconveniences people anyway, right?

WRONG!

The 1% tax doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Its like a meet me in the middle kinda solution where people didn't want any taxes and the server wanted all the taxes so you guys decided to add taxes but keep it at 1%. This way you didn't keep both parties happy as you intended by getting the best of both worlds but on the contrary, you get both the negative parts of having taxes and not having taxes (Very confusing ikr). Let me explain.
    1% of 1.000.000$ (an amount of money the average towny player can't even dream of getting) will get taxed at the end of the week. That means 1% of 1mil = 10k. this is almost nothing and even if you look at the most expensive thing on the server (deity rank) it would mean 7.000.000 taxed would make 70k. If you think about it you get taxed only ones every week. So if you have the money for deity and wait for a week because of some odd reason before you buy it, only 70k will be taken from your bal. A hard quest reward is 12k so if you have 4 jobs with 12k reward you get 4x12k=48k. If you do your quests for 2 days you would have not only made the 70k back but also have a balance of 7026000. Thats 26k more. I feel like the 7 mil cap is a perfect place to keep the highest balance of the server. So if we look at most of the people on the server who play on a daily bases (the people most likely to reach deity rank) you can savely say that such people can get 100k/day including their quests-money without a sweat. So if I did the math right if they kept playing like that for a very long time they would stop making money at $70.000.000. I'm pretty sure that's a lot more then the amount of money the entire server had at the end of T3 . That mean the 1% tax isn't even close to doing what it is suppose to do.

So like I said the average player who plays on a daily bases could make 100k/day if they were interested in buying something expensive like a rankup. If this person was aiming for deity they can earn even more money (do remember that getting deity rank shouldn't be an easy task to begin with but also not impossible) This 100k/day would be 700k/week. The person would struggle to have a positive money income after they have reached 7.000.000 when the weekly tax is 10% (10% of 7mil = 700k) this person would always be at 7mil at the end of the week and if they don't spend any of their money it will reach 7.7mil at the max. So 10% is actually the number the server should want the weekly tax to be.

If we look at the perspective of the person who isn't aiming to become deity and wants to play the game casually the 10% tax would look like this. Lets say that the person has 4 low level jobs so 4k/job/day (or 2 medium jobs so 8k/job/day) so 4x4000x7=112k/week if this person plays every day (not even considering the fact that people have jobs and can earn money in other ways like actually doing their jobs or selling items to others). So this person would cap at a little lover 1 mil and has to grind money if they want to reach an even higher balance. Nothing on the server costs 1 mil and just as deity rank should be quite the grind for a player to reach other lower ranks should be the same too. So getting to monarch which costs 920k If I'm not mistaken should still be reachable for someone like this (lets be real, for someone like this reaching emperor or higher would be unfair to the others who actually spend time and effort to get a rank. It would devalue the rank and makes it less impressive).

I don't wanna do the math for all kinds of situations but 10% tax is way more realistic and effective compared to 1% and it feels like it actually does something instead of being a weird thing people are trying to evade. 10% is the highest amount taxable before it gets messed up and since I am not a staff member but a player I would still like it to be slightly lower then what I am suggesting (maybe 6 or 7%?). Not because Im being selfish but also because I have kept certain things out of consideration like space-time, the fact that some people cant come online to play every day and some other smaller things that added up together could make it significantly harder for some people who deserve to get to deity rank or deserves the money to make money. Therefor a 6 to 7% tax seems to keep everyone satisfied a lot more then a 10% tax or a 1% tax.

Besides all that I would also like to shine a light on another thing I have lightly hinted at at the introduction/funny beginning of this thread. I don't know why it changed and if it was on purpose but being able to evade taxes but either depositing your money in the town or nation bank is just a weird thing in on its self. Why give the right for town and nation staff to evade taxes while others have to pay it. This way you are only putting a handicap on most people on the server while the ones you wanna stop gaining too much money with this weekly tax are getting away with it. I dont know the possibilities of the way the taxing plugin works but my first suggestion would be to tax towns and nations again just like the personal bal gets taxed or if thats not possible or out of question add a seperate tax for towns and nations.

Thanks for reading through all of this and I hope I could have been a little bit of help in this situating because the way the weekly taxes are set right now are really discouraging me from playing on the server for the economy and all I focus on rn is building. I did enjoy how the money system worked in t3 and it motivated me on making and maintaining a shop for the whole time that I played on the server. Right now the money system is pretty messed up for many reasons but I believe increasing the tax by a significant proportion should fix part of the problem and once this change has been added and the people adjusted, the economy might be in a better place and if there are other changes to be done in either direction I still have some suggestions that could help.

Much luv
    Mr. Preggers

#1 AmIPronkent, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. sh2mrr5

sh2mrr5 Administrator
    Administrator System Administrator

This is probably one of the most controversial things anybody ever suggested on here :D

Before this discussion continues, I would like to clear up a few misunderstandings though. First of all, we mostly added the weekly tax so that people, who have been inactive for a long time (months rather than weeks) do not remain on the first page of the /baltop forever.

Secondly, the plugin we use for the taxes does not currently allow us to tax towns or nations. In theory it should be able to, but that part does not work properly and the dev is terribly inactive (which why there is a money limit for town/nation banks).

In that regard, people "evading" the tax with their town isn't actually that much of an issue, since they have to be at least somewhat active to do so. Considering that being mayor of a town or king/queen of a nation usually takes quite a lot of time and resources as well, I (personally) do not really mind that either.

Even if that plugin would be fixed at some point, I think changing the tax to something like 6% per week or 1% per day would upset a lot of people, so I would not do it without a very good reason, but I would like to know what everybody else things about this as well :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. AmIPronkent

AmIPronkent Member

I personally would like the tax to go up since for now money is relatively easy to get compared to the amount of time and effort it takes to get the item thats being sold. Therefor I think adding value to money (making it harder to have a large sum of money) would make people think twice before auctioning an item for a very low price knowing people will most likely bring it up to a reasonable price and the economy would look a little more stable then what it is at right now. I constantly see people sell the same item for a very variable amount of money from something being sold by one person for 1k and then the other day its sold for 10k. On the other hand I also see people ask for items at a very low price and are actually offended when you give the price that the item is actually worth. There reasoning is that they saw several people sell them for a lower price the other day.

I dont like the current economy on the server and this is just one way I thought we could fix it. Another way to help is also to get rid of the chat auction since that would encourage people to build shops or claim shops so the item can have a minimum that it will go for. This way the competition is a little more fair for buyer and seller.

P.s I also dont understand why someone who hasnt been online for months cant stay at bal top if they earned the money fair and square

#3 AmIPronkent, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020