Just a little thing I think would be cool

Discussion in 'Suggestion Archive' started by natesmileyboy, May 30, 2017.

?

Do you think a Shadow kingdom build team should be made

1. Yes

55.6%
  2. No

44.4%
  1. natesmileyboy

natesmileyboy Member

Hey guy's,

I would like to suggest a thing that I think would be cool to have. So I've been thinking and because of the new spawn being built I thought that it would be a cool idea to put together a new staff sub section for builders. So like many people on the server there are some amazing builders but not all of the builders are staff so they can't build for the server and what I was thinking of doing was to put together a SK build team by having this build team it will be easier to control building for new servers in the upcoming month's and years this can be put into place by when staff are wanting people for the build team they can open a new sub server in the creative server allowing people to build a plot and submit it to try to become a part of the build team. Now this is only a suggestion that popped into my head and I thought it would be cool to add because this will allow the server to grow in many ways for example a builder on the server might not submit a staff Application because they don't want to be a mod but this will allow for a larger variety of builders working to make this server better.

Thanks,
    Nathan

P.S This is just a suggestion I don't think it will actually happen just thought of it and wanted to suggest it

Thanks again,
    Natesmileyboy (Nathan)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Major_Graft

Major_Graft Dedicated Member

I think the general idea of a build team that could raise the profile of the server would be fantastic. After reading Nates ideas I had some thoughts of my own I thought I'd chuck in. There have been others talking about how (or if) we encourage cooperative builds here at SK. I personally would love to work on projects with other builders and think it would be a good way to help beginner builders start to learn from more competent builders.

As has been pointed out because of the way creative works at the moment team builds are less attractive because they are judged more harshly and making ranking harder. Perhaps what could be done is that teams could form themselves through the forum or discord or whatever other means. Then they could try to create mega builds or larger more impressive team efforts which could be submitted to the SK team for consideration. At which point wouldn't it be fantastic if they were deemed worthy of SK they could be put up say on a SK YouTube channel. If our builds were good enough to attract viewership it could help grow the server membership massively at the same time as encourage and appropriately reward the effort of going all out on spectacular builds. Of course staff would have to have final say on what builds would be accepted and the standard would have to be VERY high. but with the best builders taking charge of build teams they could direct less skilled builders and still achieve the high finish they are capable of.

Grow server membership, mentor more novice builders, create publicity, encourage team work and impressive builds. For me that's the gains that could be had from an idea such as this. I hope others find this an attractive notion as I think it could have real legs as an idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Zydiax

Zydiax Well-Known Member

Could anyone join the team?

4. DefiantTrekk

DefiantTrekk Member

Nice idea, things like pvp arenas and parkour maps are all things that you could create as a project. I think its important that you get a group like this going, because as graft says (and the general principle of minecraft) is that people play together and that's far from how server gameplay generally turns out.

A group for experienced builders, and inexperienced builders to perhaps learn how to make better looking builds is a great idea, I would definitely say this is a nice idea taken up or not.

5. Major_Graft

I imagine that it would be up to anyone to form their own teams to try and build that way they could find who they like working with. I imagine getting your big-build chosen for the channel would be like earning a rank. It would be a massive genuine rewarding achievement for team builds.

6. natesmileyboy

natesmileyboy Member

I think that allowing the community to learn how to build by builders on the server and having a kind of building competition were builders can enter, build and submit to get there build on the Shadow kingdom YouTube channel would be a great idea and allow the community to grow through people watching the YouTube videos. there are some amazing ideas for this project thanks for all the support

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. natesmileyboy

natesmileyboy Member

Hey @Kayoz and @Daphsquid
    I think this would be good to have on the server.

Thanks, Nate (nathan)

8. BlueBoat

BlueBoat Member

We had a team in the past however everyone either lost interest in the project we were working on or was busy helping staff the server and in the end it was disbanded. I really liked the idea but i think we approached it in the wrong way.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Major_Graft

yeah that's exactly why it should be wider than staff/admins etc. If any SK member can form a team and build then you are likely to harness the full power of our collective and perhaps offer something new to new members as well. Interestingly the knew SKfriends plug-in is the perfect tool for allowing these loose build groups to exist without fear of griefing.

Obviously the critical issue is one of keeping standards which is why builds should be judged in the same way as solo plots are judged, therefore only letting the best get mae into videos for the channel. I for one would be pumped to get in a team with a big ambitious idea in the hope of getting on the channel.

10. Potato

Potato Well-Known Member

So how do the "less skilled builders" get accepted if they can't build? Just curious. @Major_Graft.

11. Major_Graft

Fair question and I think that depends on the team. I think the essence is that anyone can form a team and try out a build. Therefore no skill level required to make a build team and do the building. The only point at which there is judgement is when a build team has finished a project and then the mods can decide if it is worthy of featuring on the channel.

keep in mind most of my ideas are forming as we have the discussion. I see the possibility of lots of different teams with different make ups and aims.
    • groups of experienced veterans coming together to create
    • more experienced builders taking on less experienced builders to help them and along the way pass on skills
    • inexperienced builders coming together just for the fun and giving it a go
    there need be no hard and fast rules as to group makeup as far as I see it. One example that springs to mind is that when I first arrived at SK, Blueboat gave me lots of advice and direction (amongst others!) I could imagine a scenario where Blue, being a highly skilled builder, might ask me a novice showing potential, to join their team during which I would learn a lot and become a better builder, and also contribute to something bigger and become an integrated part of the community. At the moment creative can be a quite solitary pursuit and this would encourage teamwork, cooperation and loyalty to the server and investment in making it better.

Only my ideas of course and others input is more than welcome on this!!

P.S. Potato, why did you put "less experienced builders" in quote marks as if they don't exist? I myself am one of them!

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Potato

Potato Well-Known Member

I see, and I put "less skilled builders" in quotation marks because I was quoting your earlier statement.

13. Kayoz

Kayoz Legendary Member

Happy to take the idea into consideration, and there has been private discussion between staff in relation to the idea of a team, however as BlueBoat has stated above, in past experience we have tried to organise group builds and even a proper build team such as this but it's never gone anywhere.

Currently, i don't see it being so necessary, however i'll take a look into the matter further myself and see if it is something that would be worth working out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. natesmileyboy

natesmileyboy Member

xD thanks Kayoz that would be Awesome Please keep us updated

Thanks,
    Nate (Nathan)

15. Major_Graft

Thanks kayoz thats great. I guess in my naivety I imagined staff wouldn't need to be the ones organising the groups. You would only need to set the challenge "make a good enough team build and we will feature it on the channel" and then let people make their own friends, organise their own planning meetings, deciding on their builds, etc. Then the only thing staff need to do is judge the final builds in the same way as submitting a rankupreq in creative. The worst that can happen is that no one ever builds anything good enough and never passes the test. Not to dissimilar to the impossibility of earning the final rank on creative!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Faize

Faize Well-Known Member

I think this idea seems pretty cool. I think what they could do tho is 2 allow "inexperienced builders" to get more experience is that we could do it so that say nate wants to create a team what he would do is create a thread on the forums and name his team and then whoever wanted to join would post some of their best work and their basic info and ask 2 be on the team. That way it would be a bit more organized and every1 wood have the opportunity to get a team instead of ppl just dm each other and forming a group it is public and every1 is able to view

17. Faize

Faize Well-Known Member

Another cool idea I had is that what the staff could do is assign a deadline for when the forums close and basically make is so by a certain date the threads close and only the people who have been accepted are allowed to view the threads. That way each team would have a sort of private chat where they could brainstorm with other members. The staff also assign a deadline for the build and once it is done they would judge and choose a winner then they would make all the threads public so that ppl cood see how the groups had come to their build