Creative My favourite 10 plots on Creative

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Ruben0_0, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Ruben0_0

Ruben0_0 Member

I think we've discussed multiple times in creative how posting some of our personal top 10 Creative BD plots would be a very fun thing to do. Nonetheless it never really took off. So, time to change that! Below are my favourite 10 plots on Creative BD, including a little description of why I like them so much. Picking just 10 was quite hard, so I've restricted it down to 1 plot per individual (then it was still hard). Enjoy! The list is in no particular order.

PART 1

1. Mushroom Guide [#187] by punv.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I absolutely adore this plot. The tall mushroom man looks old and wise, the little mushroom lads young and playful, and ridiculously adorable. They seem to be travelling through a forest with a girl and a dog, making the scene even more wholesome. The entire scene is in motion - the little fellows climbing and sitting everywhere, the old mushroom man hunched over, looking into the distance; the girl following steadily, holding the dog's leash in her hands, and the dog itself sniffing at a nearby tree. The scene feels as if it was a picture snapped in the middle of action, making you wonder what story it is part of.

2. Gear City [#700] by Marijke2382.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I think this one comes as no surprise to anyone. Probably any sincere top 10 would have to include Gear City. If we forget its sheer size for a second, and the fact that it is a city on wheels (which is an awesome concept), what I find most impressive is that the entire structure is tilted off-axis, the front and back sections at different angles. If you travel to the lower sections of the city, you can see a gallery of houses looking over a complex system of interlocking gears - and this mechanical core is itself, of course, tilted off-axis as well. To top that off the entire overlying city is decked out with a complete interior. A work of art, to say the least.

3. Astral Journey [#524] by Ultrabrain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I found it difficult to do this plot any justice with shaders since they tend to ignore the vibrancy of colour in stained glass. Hence, last two pictures are without. This build, Astral Journey, might come very close to being my all-time favourite on the entire server, if there is one. That is mostly because it has left the realms of realism behind, in favour of something much more abstract. Amidst colourful swirls of pink and purple, we can see a large and ornamented golden clock. Around the cracked pathway below, there is an hourglass, a burning candle, and other references to the passage of time. The man standing at the start of the pathway stares in awe and wonder at the scene before him; man is infinitely small in comparison to the infinity of time.

4. Breaking Waves [#398] by Pizza_hut.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Again, no shaders since they would obscure one of the most impressive aspects of this build: the waves. I remember upon seeing this plot for the first time that I made a mental note: "ridiculously good waves, must remember for future reference". And so, whenever I now face the challenge of creating stained glass waves, I first visit this plot for guidance. Their shaping is great, but what stands out most for me is their green-blue colour, reminding me instantly of the North Sea. Combine that with an imposing ship built entirely off-axis, heavy rainfall simulated by glass panes, and nighttime, and we have the scene of a ship in a heavy nightmarish storm that is hard to wipe from your memory.

5. Sky Temple [#497] by KayozF5.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be honest, one of the hardest parts of making this top 10 was deciding which one of Kay's builds I should include. All of them breathe with a kind of magical wonder that is entirely unique. In the end, Sky Temple made the cut because, goddamn I love those deer. The build is absolutely massive, featuring an elaborate entrance guarded by forest-like deer and an archer. The temple itself sits on top of a huge cloud. On display here is a complete mastery of a wide range of techniques - organics, trees, tilted structure, and complex landscaping. Exploring this place is a delight, one that I recommend to all of you, since despite everything it is still underrated as hell, sitting at just 24 likes as I am writing this.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Ruben0_0

Ruben0_0 Member

PART 2

6. Baby dragon [#263] by Slinker92.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, that this monster of a dragon is a baby, and that it even fits on a small plot, is a hard thing to believe. Nonetheless it is so. The shaping on this organic is magnificent, and also the reason why I included it. The outlines of the scales on its neck and belly, the sharp horns on its head, the curves of its calves, thighs and forearms - altogether it is a most impressive show of skill. The texturing is also a thing of wonder; where I personally usually prefer working with gradients, Slinker has instead opted for a more salt-and-pepper approach. And the result is magnificent.

7. Gregs dinner [#681] by mgnuller.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I felt like this deserved a spot because of its intensely dark atmosphere. I suppose that is somewhat of a trademark of mgnuller's; often their work displays some alienesque surrealistic creature interacting with its environment. In this case, the interaction is (or rather, was) with what I presume to be a sheep. Look closely and you can spot blood dripping off the trees. Speaking of the trees, these are probably my favourite part of the plot. They do a perfect job of sealing that eerie, dark and cold environment that is the wendigo's habitat.

8. The Coral Depths [#460] by MadameRogue
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would be hardpressed to find a plot that is more vibrant and squirming with life than The Coral Depths. Seriously, this megaplot is filled to the brim with interesting organics. The centerpiece consists of a couple of human-like coral creatures. Swim further along the coral-strewn ocean floor and meet turtles, sharks, eels, crabs, jellyfish and killer whales, not to mention remnants of an ancient city (Atlantis?) and, more importantly, treasure! I love this plot for its vibrancy; when it comes to underwater builds, The Coral Depths serves as a role model, even after the last contest.

9. Congolese Tribal Warrior [#352] by Luminiscient
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, picking just one of Lumi's builds proved a challenge. I chose Congolese Tribal Warrior because, in my opinion, it just has such a wonderful atmosphere, and it perfectly highlights some of Luminiscient's trademarks. Firstly, we must note the focus on organics throughout the entire plot. The centrepieces are the tribal warrior and its richly adorned rhinoceros; then hidden throughout the massive jungle tree are birds, butterflies, flesh-eating plants and in the crown of the tree sits a large vulture. Secondly, the use of colour is phenomenal. There are very few builds where shades of red, blue, yellow, green and purple are used in tandem to still achieve some apparent harmony. Lastly, there is the layeredness of the plot; the entire vertical space is utilized, making it appear much more voluminous than its mere 80x80 plot size suggests.

10. Into The Color [#412] by Hopperazzi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is always a blast to see people go crazy with their imagination. This plot is a prime example of such a case; enter a land of giant mushrooms, flamingos, purple rivers, orange coy fish, curled pink mountains and hummingbirds. Into The Color also does its name justice; the landscape as seen from above melts into a sea of pink, purple, red, green and blue. In that sense, this plot may even rival Luminiscient's colour usage. It is also filled with fun details; many of the mushrooms are fitted with cozy interiors and chimneys; one of the flamingos is in the middle of eating a mushroom (let's hope it was empty). All in all, it is crazy and I love it.

#2 Ruben0_0, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Miles

Miles Member

Mum look I made it!

4. Smooth_Smonk

Smooth_Smonk Well-Known Member

i also made it mom :)

5. Marijke2382

Marijke2382 Moderator

Amazing idea!
    When I have time I'm also going to try to find a top 10!
    Love the post <3