Towny Removing the ability to buy in-game money from the store

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Manish1267, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Manish1267

Manish1267 New Member

When I found out you were able to buy in-game money, it left a bad impression and made me reluctant to purchase a donator rank as its straight up pay to win. I understand that the server needs money in order to pay for hosting and other fees and that majority of the players are from previous seasons (therefore rank purchases aren't as frequent). But I feel like the perks available in the store should not be at the expense of the product (the server).

With the ability to buy in-game money a player can "win" in most if not all aspects of the server. Being on baltop 1, buying in-game ranks, having the biggest town (in land), paying new players to join their town to have the most residents (which i have seen happen), and buying items way above the selling price which regular players cant afford (this doesn't seem like its happened yet, but still a possibility). The argument could be made that the kits that donator ranks get are comparable to being able to purchase in-game money. Even though it is a little pay to win, it's not on the same scale, as you would have to be lucky to get an enchant that can be sold for 30k, and even more lucky for an op enchant for the value of around 50k (if someone would even buy it for those prices).

I heard that a patreon rank or something was in the works which I think is more appropriate. As it allows the players from the previous seasons help keep the community they've been apart of alive without negatively effecting the player experience.

2. Matt

Matt Owner
    Server Owner

Currently we have no plans to remove the option to purchase in-game money, we are planning a wider-scoped store update soon though. It costs a lot of money to run this server, and in-game money sales are one of our most purchased items, as with most Minecraft servers.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

3. Manish1267

Manish1267 New Member

mm, well this is first server ive seen where youre able to buy in game over the 10 years of playing on mc servers. I also think people buying in game money is one of the reasons the server economy is in shambles. as this is the first server I've seen where there isnt really a general consensus on most items, despite the server being release for almost 2 months now.

#3 Manish1267, Sep 14, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  4. sh2mrr5

sh2mrr5 Administrator
    Administrator System Administrator

I have been wondering about that as well, however, while a donating for money can make a difference for an individual player, I do not think it has a huge impact on the economy, at least not on its own. I had a look at how much money players currently have and how much they spent on ranks (money in town/nation banks and money spent enywhere else is not even included here) and it looks like money from the store is not even 10% of that money, with a trend towards even lower numbers.

5. Manish1267

Manish1267 New Member

yeah i dont think it's impacted the economy all on its own. but its still pretty weird how the prices for items to have huge ranges, differing from thousands or tens of thousands. another thing ive noticed is cosmos players with a lot of money expecting way lower prices on things, but that may be because of them referring to prices from previous seasons

• Agree Agree x 1