Sit Down with Major_Graft

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Marijke2382, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Marijke2382

Marijke2382 Staff Member
    Assistant

[​IMG]

Hello everyone,

Another interview! Yay! This time I have decided to interview someone everyone knows, Major_Graft. He has been around here for some time and did a lot for the server.
    We all know Major as a builder, a towny player, a benefactor, a retired staff member, the guy with the youtube channel and someone that is always kind and ready for a good chat.

[​IMG]

I haven’t known Shadow Kingdom without Major, he really is one of the big pillars for the community. On the Towny server, Major is a (high ranked) member in the town of Lockish. And on the brand new Creative server he has reached the “Creator” rank. Besides that, Major has also helped the server with an amazing tutorial for the new creative build submission plugin!

Shadow Kingdom’s Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGjt9RFi5nFttEj_o9W2rTg/videos

And there’s more! Major also has his very own youtube channel, you can find some amazing videos about the server on it! Make sure to check it out and subscribe!

Major_Graft’s Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRofloDVzPlNIMC-G_hzfPA

Now let’s see what Major has to tell us, himself!

Short introduction by Major_Graft:
    Hi everyone, for those who don’t know me I’m Major Graft and I’m the grandpa of the server. Who says you can’t play minecraft with 2 kids and a full time job! I’ve been a part of the Shadow Kingdom community from before towny was a thing. I’ve played through creative, skyblock, kingdoms, prison and 3 iterations of towny here at Shadow Kingdom so if you don’t know me by now you’ve probably been living under a rock. I have even had a stint as a moderator for a short while and credit where credit’s due, I don’t know how you guys do it, it’s an amazing commitment to be staff on a server like this.

If you had to compare yourself with an animal: which would you pick and why?
    I can’t see it myself but some people have told me I look like Sid the Sloth from Ice Age, and I do love my bed so that fits well enough!

[​IMG]

What do you do in your spare time?
    You mean apart from play minecraft? Well I’ve recently got right into League of Legends so it seems my MO is playing 10 year old games. Obviously having a small family means spare time is precious and rather tiny but I have been running my Youtube channel seems about May time and am having great fun editing and creating content. Never gonna go further than a bit of fun and supporting the server but that's enough for me.

What are you most proud of?
    Cliche answer… My wonderful wife and two gorgeous kids obviously! In terms of achievements though I would say organising and leading an expedition up Mount Kenya (second highest peak in Africa) is something I can legitimately be proud of.

What is your favorite food?
    I’m a bit of a foodie so it’s hard for me to pick just one food but I absolutely love a good curry, in fact proper authentic Thai food is just incredible!

Would you rather only be to use a fork (no spoon) or only be able to use a spoon (no fork)?
    Fork every time, I like food I can stab

What do you like most doing in minecraft?
    I just really enjoy building, I’ve never been much for the PVP and roleplaying side of Minecraft and I’m just happiest when I'm working away on my latest projects. Weirdly, though I prefer to build in Survival on Towny rather than in creative. There is something about having to gather materials and work within those constraints that makes it more satisfying. I guess it feels like there’s always something different to do when you mix the creative and the mundane of mining resources. Creative is super intense and you always have to have the creative juices flowing whereas there’s a more natural rhythm to towny. I know others might disagree here but I’ve always felt Towny was that bit more social too which is nice.

[​IMG]
    Japanese castle, one of Major_Graft’s builds, visit by /build tp 11

What is your favorite block/item, why?
    impossible to decide! This is genuinely the hardest question in the interview and I’ve changed my mind every 20 seconds for the last 5 minutes so I give up.

What is your favorite aspect on the server?
    Towny is definitely where I’m happiest. I actually really enjoyed the few times we’ve had bigger community projects on the go so I hope we find more opportunities for that in the future.

How does your storage look like?
    Previously I’ve had super fancy decorated storage areas in Towny but in 3.0 I’ve been really lazy and it’s just a bunch of chests in a bunker underground right now. In fact I should really do something with it. You should have seen my storage in 2.0!

How do you feel about the new creative server?
    I think it’s a really interesting and unique concept and I hope the community embraces it as the team have put so much work into it. I’m blown away by the private worlds that donators have been given and can’t wait to see what people do with them.

What is your favorite plugin? (towny and/or creative)
    Although I don’t really use it much myself I’m constantly amazed by how others have used the armor stand tools plugin. CyanEmily did the most amazing armor stand work creating the congregation in my Cathedral in Lockish.

Fun fact: Major used 320! anvils in this build. This equals 9 920 iron ingots = 115 stacks ingots = 17,2 stacks of iron blocks!

[​IMG]

What is your favorite build on the server?
    I remember when I first arrived at Shadow Kingdom I saw the balrog build and I can’t even remember who built it, but it inspired me so much in terms of what's possible in minecraft. There are dozens of builds in reality so it’s hard to pinpoint which I think are best. In fact if I started naming names I would leave someone out and that wouldn’t feel right!

Do you have any plans for your youtube channel? Ideas for specific series or new episodes coming soon?
    To date, Towny tours has been the biggest success of the channel and I’m extremely grateful to everyone who supported the channel so far. I’ve a good few ideas of things I’d like to do but finding the time is tricky. I am seriously looking at doing a series showing me developing my private world on the creative server. I have 2500x2500 space to go crazy on, terraforming, using the creative plugins and then building a world within that space. It’s a bit scary as I haven’t used world edit and voxel sniper for a while and my knowledge is very basic so I’m a bit nervous that people will watch and think I’m just doing a bad job of it. I’m not going to let that hold me back though. I just need a bit of a rough plan for what the landscape might look like and then I’m off!

Because the interview was too long: second part in the commands.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Marijke2382

Marijke2382 Staff Member
    Assistant

Second part:

Is/was there a player who is/has been a role model for you?
    That’s an interesting question. As I’m fairly sure I am one of, if not the oldest player on the server which changes how you view that question slightly. Once I got settled here I always tried to be a good role model to others on the server but there have definitely been other players who have inspired me in that respect. BlueBoat has to be one of them and was the first person to help me in the early days learning about creative. Sh1mrr4 is a pillar of the community and someone I respect greatly. There have been other’s but one person who I have to single out is RyanRocks07. One thing I have found playing with mostly younger people is that they are quite happy to talk about themselves but often don’t show the same interest in return. It is in this respect that Ryan has stood out for me as someone who constantly takes a genuine interest in others and makes the server a better place to be for me. I could say this about so many people though and I guess I mention Ryan first as he was with me through all of towny 2.0. I could say the same of people like Rononic, Maijke, Rubyo, and many others also! There’s just so many it’s really hard to narrow it down, it’s what makes this server so great in my eyes!

What do you think about the current staff team?
    An excellent bunch who are endlessly working to make a great experience for all the players. Being ex staff I can relate to the hard work they put in and some people don’t really appreciate just how much they do and how hard they work.

Who is your favorite staff member, why?
    There have been lots of staff who have impacted me over the years here but I have to say Sh1mrr4 is someone who I respect greatly and I identify with. We both started our journey’s as SK staff around the same time and I’m amazed at his dedication and commitment to get where he is now. Apart from that he’s just an all round decent human being and I’d like to think a friend also. He’s the one person on the server who I would always listen to on the server as I respect his opinions greatly.

Do you want to share value that is really important to you?
    I have to say that I don’t like people being vengeful and when someone hurts them, having to be horrible back. In which case I guess the value that’s really important to me is forgiveness. The worst tragedies and splits in SKs past I think have happened because people couldn’t move past their own anger. Peace man!!

Is there anything you want to add?
    Just to say if you are a member of the SK community and haven’t yet checked out my channel please go check it out at ‘Major Graft’. The next episode of Towny Tours should be coming by the weekend and I’d love if we could grow the channel to 100 subs so come along and help me build a community there! And if you guys have serious suggestions for what I should feature on the channel leave me a comment also, it really does help to know what you guys want to see more of!

Dear everyone,
    Thanks again for reading, I hope you enjoyed it!
    See you next time!

Lots of Love,
    Mari <3

An Article from the observer
    Written by
    : Major_Graft, Rononic & Marijke2382

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  3. sh2mrr5

sh2mrr5 Administrator
    Administrator System Administrator

Mhh, this sh1mrr4 must really be a nice person :D

Thanks for the compliments, even though I am afraid I have to return them. It has always been (and still is) a pleasure to work with and talk to you, especially considering your maturity and experience!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. InfernalzRush

InfernalzRush New Member

Good job in the interview, and it is really amazing! Can't wait for the next interview, AND the next Towny Tours!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. paylode

paylode Well-Known Member

Aw nice you love japan MC builds I think you owned a town called "Awashima." Ya you love Asian builds... The on type of build's where I have problems with I cant build that type. Nice interview btw

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Rubyo2000

Rubyo2000 Staff Member
    Assistant

Amazing interview! Great job Major and Mari!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Schoggi

Schoggi New Member

That was an amazing interview!
    These were some really interesting questions and Im glad Major shared abit of himself with us. I really respect your answers and your personality and couldnt have agreed more with the second last question <3
    This interview really filled me with happiness Thank you^^
    Peace!

• Friendly Friendly x 2