1. Join our server at MC.SHADOWKINGDOM.ORG!
    Dismiss Notice

The use of nicknames for all

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by MagnaPhi, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagnaPhi

MagnaPhi Staff Member
    Assistant

This is my first post, and I'm scared... of being judged.

I think for everyone, the use of nicknames would put a creative curve on open identity with other players. This allows the player to choose a nickname maybe they enjoy, a character they love, or something silly(Not inappropriate). Colors to change the name can be picked and even the amount of characters can be limited. Players could time rank up to earn the ability to use the nickname command or purchase it with a rank.

The down side is that there are players who want to make inappropriate names up. Which can be easily revoked. This is also a great way to force change crude gamer tags to help keep the server PG/G. I'm not even sure what the server is rated... But I feel it will defiantly help with gaining popularity when the profanity is at a negative.

...Thank you for reading.

P.S. I miss my nickname PrincessZelda as well...

2. Shade

Shade Member

To my knowledge the use of profanity is not really that enforced

Heres what the rules say
    upload_2018-1-11_19-3-0.png

Notice how it says To A Certain Extent I have seen people swear in chat and discord and even mods swear I think they mostly mean the actual level of the swear like I have seen an ex mod (resigned) use the f word in chat and other players also swear but I would say usage of some of the more extreme words wood be frowned upon. Also it depends how much u swear. Like if u say F*** I died im sure that woodnt be so bad. But i mean if you were like continously dropping f bombs I think u might get a warning.

Regarding the nickname thing I think that it would be easy for people to make really bad inapropriate nicknames. You can easily by pass a chat filter of some sort by adding in an extra letter. Also it wood be harder for people to report poeople.

EX. Hi any mods, PrincessZelda is hacking.

They wood have to check records or soemthing too see who used that nickname what if multiple people use that nickname afterwards?

I think this is a good idea but it wood be to hard for staff to manage and 2 easy for peeps to abuse

P.S (That whole thing i said about the rules is not official I DO NOT SPEAK FOR STAFF)

-Shadow

3. sh1mrr4

sh1mrr4 Moderator

Shades assessment of the rules regarding profanity are pretty on point (This is not a Christian Minecraft server afterall :D). This is, however, only the case if you don't use these words to insult/harass other players and the use of certain words will get your ass kicked immediately (e.g. the "n" word).

I can't really say anything about the nickname thing, as it was a thing way before my time and let to a great deal of confusion (I probably wouldn't really like it as people changing there username is already confusing enough :confused:).

4. Kayoz

Kayoz Daph's Baby Boy

I'm against the use of nicknames for everyone, personally. It can get really confusing, and as you mentioned can often lead to people coming up with ridiculous and offensive nicknames.

As well as this, assuming the ability of changing nicknames also includes formatting such as colour, bold, etc, it would make chat look very messy, with a number of different styles clashing together. It would not be very pleasant, and goes against the style-driven look that SK has developed.

Also, welcome for your first post ;)

5. TfWs_FiRe

TfWs_FiRe New Member

I like and support the idea of /nick but to an extent. I think you should get it for like the halfway point on the free ranks and get it as patron. That way it's not that easy to achieve and people will have to work for it. This is a way to prevent trolls from using it to annoy staff and make their jobs harder.

6. MagnaPhi

MagnaPhi Staff Member
    Assistant

The use of nickname is purely cosmetic as most if you hover over the name will show the actual user's gamer name, then there is the ability to type in '/nick reveal' or '/nick who'. If you are present with someone, the players gamer tag doesn't disappear over top of their head to the nickname. Chat: PrincessZelda: Hello! - But if you were in front of where I was standing, you'd see my gamer tag. I agree with Fire, limiting certain ranks to use just small and those who spend money or play longer get the ability to change colors or add more characters. I find the the bold, italic and spazzy text styles to be very annoying like the constant Auction plugin announcements. I wouldn't suggest those to be allowed as they're eye disturbing.(...Eye disturbing...I'm not disturbed...)

Well, it seems nobody likes it so.. Sorry for suggesting it. :/

7. Kayoz

Kayoz Daph's Baby Boy

Never be sorry for suggestions! Everything is valuable.

8. TAlegends

TAlegends Member

I agree with this 100% ^^
    Yeah it should be limited use.

I tbh dont think this is a bad idea at all , it needs some time to think true but it can work.

9. The_God_Tree

The_God_Tree Member

i have mixed feelings on this
    i would really like to have /nick but we know some players will take horrible nicknames
    maybe if we include the /realname [nickname] command would help with the staffing issue
    would allow players to help staff a lot easier or staff themselves easier time to keep an eye on nicknames and players

if we can find a decent way so it doesent massivly increase staff workload im all for it +1 :3

10. Unendinq

Unendinq Member

I think nicknames should be added but have staff be able to use the command only for certain ranks(donator, rankup, etc.). This would remove the possibility of any abuse of the command and eliminate confusion for the most part on the server. I also think it'd be smart to only allow for nicknames that are fairly similar to the original name of the player. This would further eliminate confusion but still create the possibility for a concise name in chat. For example, TinyRoe could become Tiny, Daphsquid to Daph, etc.

11. Daphsquid

Daphsquid Server Owner
    Server Owner

The idea of nicknames was highly discussed when we first released creative, nearly 3 years ago. The general agreement was that due to the difficult to staff and confusing nature of having a bunch of players with whacky names, we would not offer nicknames on SK. Instead, we swapped out the idea of nicknames for /namecolor, so everyone can have a unique chat format if they're a donator, without our chat looking like total chaos.

I'm going to lock this thread, since I, unfortunately, need to say that it won't be implemented. Thank you for the suggestion! if you have any others, feel free to post them.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.