what do you struggle with when building?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Major_Graft, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Major_Graft

Major_Graft Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    I'm looking for ideas from the community on what to make videos on and wanted to pick your brains!

I'd really appreciate anyone who can give me answers to the following questions:-

1) What aspect of building in minecraft do you struggle with the most?

2) What tutorials do you think would be most beneficial to the SK community and the wider minecraft youtube community?

3) are their certain types of building that you would like tips on?

4) are there certain block types that you avoid or struggle to use? which ones?

Let me know with your answers if you major on creative or towny also as it helps me put your answers in the right context. And feel free to answer only the ones you have answers for, don't feel the need to answer everything!

Thanks all!
    Major

#1 Major_Graft, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. FNPlayz

FNPlayz Moderator

3. Colt21

Colt21 Moderator

i suck at building in general LOL

4. paylode

paylode Well-Known Member

I suck with Asian builds

5. Ultrabrain

Ultrabrain Well-Known Member

This is not really an answer to any of your 4 questions but it is related to them all.

A personal philosophy of me regarding building is that more detail is not always positive. I think this is a mindset that many builders with less experience often struggle with, while understanding this idea could help them a lot.

My own belief regarding this topic is that detail should only be added if it serves a function. This function can be practical, if you want to make something realistic, or purely aesthetic. In the end it comes down to whether adding an additional piece of detail makes an improvement. In contrast I often see people trying to add details to their builds just because they want "more detail", without thinking much about it.

I would like to see a video discussing different ways on how to add detail to your builds and why, while also maybe addressing different philosophies if there are any.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Major_Graft

thanks Ultra that's a really interesting concept! Whether i have the requisite skill and knowledge to shed light on it is another matter though! I Think i tend to under detail on the whole lol

7. Foshi (hawk)

Foshi (hawk) Member

I'm really bad at getting the shape right

8. sh2mrr5

sh2mrr5 Administrator
    Administrator System Administrator

I think it is challenging to create builds that look great both on the inside and the outside, which is why I often build underground (so that no exterior is needed). :D

9. Major_Graft

I'm curious Foshi, what do you mean by shape? you mean of your buildings? are their certain styles you find harder than others?

10. Foshi (hawk)

Foshi (hawk) Member

What i mean by shape is making the build not just look like a plain square

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Kayoz

Kayoz Administrator
    Administrator System Administrator

1) What aspect of building in minecraft do you struggle with the most?
    Mainly planning things out and sticking to a solid idea. I have some potentially bad habits with building rather sporadically and just going with the flow, which can often result in some messy messy messy builds. Too much planning is bad, but too little is no better. This sort of lends to the fact that my structure is rather poor imo :(

2) What tutorials do you think would be most beneficial to the SK community and the wider minecraft youtube community?
    I would love to see some more in-depth information on some of the more advanced commands within worldedit, but also just some more of the fundamentals. I'd love to delve more into art theory and how it can be applied to builds in a context like this to enhance builds that extra step. After all, we're all artists here, whether we consider ourselves that or not.

3) are their certain types of building that you would like tips on?
    Structure!! Particularly more uniform and restricted styles. I've always struggled to pull off real life architectural styles.

4) are there certain block types that you avoid or struggle to use? which ones?
    There's no blocks in particular that I go out of my way to avoid, save for some obvious that generally wouldn't be used in a lot of circumstances, such as ores (diamonds, gold, etc). But I'd like to encourage people to go a bit wild with their block choices. All that matters is colour and texture.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1